Today, granite is used in almost all the kitchens for countertops. Their looks, durability and reasonable price have made them extremely popular amongst kitchen owners. But, like all other materials and sections of your house, even granite countertops needs care and should be prevented from a number of things. Here we are listing a few important things can severely affect the beauty and durability of your granite countertops.
1. Avoid using lemon, orange, ammonia or vinegar as cleaners. All these household cleaners are not recommended for cleaning granite countertops. In short, you should avoid using any type of citric product as cleaner to clean your granite countertops.
2. Don’t use grout, tub, tile or bathroom cleaners. The cleaners made especially for cleaning bathrooms are strong and contain abrasives that can dull and scratch the surface of granite countertops. Thus, use only the products that are formulated especially for cleaning granite countertops.
3. Don’t stand or sit on your granite countertops: Totally unlike laminate countertops, quartz, marble, and granite countertops are very hard, but not flexible. Moreover, they do not have a plywood backing, thus excessive weight at one point could lead to cracks in the granite.
4. Don’t cut the vegetables or fruits directly on the countertop. Use a cutting board. Though, this won’t break the granite, but it could result in scratches.
5. Use hot pads under pans and pots. It is expected for granite to suffer thermal shock and crack, though chances are rare.